Monday, December 12, 2011

Video Art

This is my wacky video that I made for the video art project. It's supposed to represent stereotypes among people. In particular, stereotypes for asian people. Before I moved to the states for college, I had never really categorized myself completely as an "Asian". But, after living here as an adult (I did live in the US as a kid/preteen), the realization that what I look like really plays a role in how some people will treat me. Living on a campus community isn't too bad. However, I've been to New Orleans, Baton Rough, and even in Orlando at Universal studios and heard people walk by and say "ching chong chang ching". The ignorance of people continues to always surprise me. I'm not saying all Americans are like this, in fact, it is probably a small percentage that would actually say something like that.
The video I made is confronting the stereotypes. I'm running away from them; the clothing and godzilla. In the end, I'm a regular person that may embrace cultural aspects often (like the earring).
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. an amazing video. seems like your struggling to get away from Godzilla which was so cool. The slow tempo and audio was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is cool how you have the same eye but the loo like they are different. it makes it look freaky. your right it is a wacky video. only an asian would have thought o this. the Godzilla! that was a great touch to the video

    ReplyDelete